Are you a huge fan of Kahlua coffee cocktails but aren't sure how to recreate your own recipes at home?
Here, we’ve got a wide range of delicious Kahlua coffee drinks - whether it be for winter, summer, or all seasons, for you to choose from.
12 Kahlua Coffee Drinks (Popular Options For At Home Drinking)
Kahlua is a delicious coffee liqueur that’s made with rum, sugar, and coffee. It's brown in color and works well in plenty of different coffee drinks.
Just like Baileys Irish cream, Kahlua has a taste which perfect matches the coffee flavor - and that's why it's often used for coffee cocktails.
Here are some options for you to try out at home!
1. Kahlua Coffee
This is one of the best Kahlua coffee cocktails because it's so simple to make with a very short prep time:
- Pour a shot of Kahlua liquer into freshly brewed coffee
- Add cream, whole milk, or whipped cream on top. Enjoy!
For a non-alcoholic alternative, you can use either coffee flavored liqueur syrup or chocolate-flavored liqueur syrup instead.
You'll still be get that rich, full-bodied, and sweet flavor - just no alcohol.
2. Kahlua Dalgona Coffee
Dalgona coffee has been incredibly popular in recent years, but have you tried Kahlua Dalgona Coffee?
This is one of the lightest whipped coffee cocktails that's milky and has a fluffy cloud-like topping similar to a Dutch Bros soft top or Starbucks cold foam drinks.
A Kahlua Dalgona Coffee has one of the simplest cocktail recipes:
- Pour 1 oz of freshly brewed coffee, Kahlua coffee liqueur, sugar, and hot water into a cocktail shaker
- Mix together until it becomes fluffy
- Pour over ice, and add cold milk or cream
This drink looks a bit like a black Russian, but has a lighter taste. Calories-wise, it's about 300 - 400 calories depending on the amount you put in your coffee.
Want a non-alcoholic version? Just add coffee or chocolate syrup to your Dalgona Coffee.
3. Espresso Martini Cocktail
Sometimes, you need more sophisticated coffee cocktails, and that's when an Espresso Martini Cocktail will do the trick.
- Brew coffee espresso and leave to cool
- Add a little bit of vodka and some Kahlua syrup
- Stir gently to combine, and then pour into your espresso glass
An Espresso Martini cocktail is sure to hit the spot at any time of the day (or night) - especially when you need a bit of caffeine!
It's about 300 calories for an Espresso Martini Cocktail, depending on the amount of Kahlua you’re adding to your drink!
You can also use cold brew coffee in the base of your espresso martini. This gives it a lighter taste, but makes it a lot more caffeinated, with over 150mg of caffeine in each serving.
If you’d prefer an alcohol-free Espresso Martini, you can substitute the vodka and Kahlua with a hit of vanilla or coffee syrup instead.
You can also choose to add a bit more espresso into your mocktail if you’d like.
4. Pumpkin White Russian
Why go for a regular White Russian if you can go for a Pumpkin White Russian?
This particular drink is excellent for when Autumn's almost here or for when you're craving something different.
To make this coffee cocktail you'll need to:
- Take freshly brewed coffee and let it cool
- Add Kahlua, vodka, pumpkin puree, and pumpkin pie spice
- Stir to combine, and then top with whipped cream
For a non alcoholic-version, substitute the alcohol with chocolate syrup and heavy cream. If you're not a heavy cream person, you can also use almond milk or coconut milk.
Just remember that White Russians are pretty high in calories - about 500 a drink, especially if you're using heavy cream.
5. Kahlua Iced Coffee Cocktail
This is one of the best summer coffee drink recipes and it's sure to spice up your morning or afternoon - it’s also great if you’re looking for a delicious coffee cocktail with some caffeine.
The cocktail recipe is simple:
- Take freshly brewed iced coffee (or you can use cold brew coffee) and add Kahlua liqueur
- Top up with whole milk
- Add whipped cream and shake some brown sugar on top
For a non-alcoholic version, replace the Kahlua with coffee flavored syrup or chocolate syrup.
You can customize the milk you're using and adjust the sweetness level according to your preference.
6. Pumpkin Spice Kahlua Coffee
It doesn't have to be autumn to enjoy a delicious Pumpkin Spice Kahlua Coffee!
This fall-themed coffee cocktail has it all - and is simple to make:
- Brew coffee and mix in some Kahlua syrup
- Add pumpkin spice and pumpkin puree to give it the signature taste
- Pour in whole milk
- Top with whipped cream with some brown sugar on top
Similar to some of the other non-alcoholic Kahlua drinks mentioned above, simply replace the Kahlua with chocolate flavored syrup, or coffee syrup.
Coffee syrup has a similar taste to Kahlua, so it should do the trick!
7. Dirty Horchata Cocktail
Everyone likes a traditional Mexican horchata, but have you had a Dirty Horchata Cocktail?
This alcohol-infused version is perfect for those winter nights and is a strong yet creamy and sweet treat that you can’t miss out on.
This cocktail recipe is a bit more challenging, but totally worth it:
- Mix uncooked long grain white rice with warm water and leave overnight
- Blend the mixture until it becomes creamy
- Add ground cinnamon, nutmeg, and maple syrup. Stir well until it's combined
- Whisk in sweetened condensed milk
- Brew coffee and pour it into the mixture
- Stir well, and then pour over ice
Prefer a non-alcoholic version? Simply use the same ingredients minus the alcohol and replace it with coffee or chocolate syrup instead!
8. Kahlua Peppermint Coffee
Whether it be Christmas or a festive-themed holiday party that you’re having, you can’t go wrong with Kahlua Peppermint Coffee Cups.
This delicious drink is essentially a peppermint hot chocolate with a twist. Here's how to make it:
- Add Kahlua to freshly brewed hot coffee
- Pour in hot milk and stir in cocoa powder
- Add peppermint flavorings and stir to combine
- Stir in some heavy cream, and add whipped cream on top
- Garnish with crushed candy canes and powdered sugar
This coffee cocktail works well with Irish cream liqueur too, but Kahlua really brings it to life. You can also add coffee ice cream to make it thicker, richer, and sweeter.
You can make this drink non-alcoholic by substituting Kahlua with coffee syrup instead. The drink can be served hot or cold, and you can also switch up the garnish too.
9. Hot Russian Cocktail
Instead of a regular white Russian or black Russian, change it up and make a Hot Russian Cocktail.
This drink is perfect for those colder winter nights and for when you want something stronger than hot chocolate, but you don't fancy a sweet Baileys Irish cream drink.
This is another one of the easy cocktail recipes to do at home with very little prep time:
- Brew hot coffee and add a small amount of vodka
- Add in Kahlua syrup and pour in heavy cream
- Stir to combine, and then enjoy
This nutritional information for this drink is worth noting, because there are over 500 calories in a cup.
If you want a non-alcoholic version, simply change the vodka and Kahlua to coffee or vanilla syrup (or both) instead.
10. Baileys & Kahlua Iced Coffee Shake
If you're looking for a boozy milkshake, you can't go wrong with the Baileys Irish Cream & Kahlua Iced Coffee Shake.
It contains all the good stuff, and it's absolutely amazing if you dip a chocolate chip cookie into it! Here's how to make it:
- Take chilled coffee, or cold brew, and mix in vanilla ice cream or coffee ice cream
- Pour in Kahlua and Baileys Irish cream
- Blend the mixture together until it's thick and smooth like a milkshake
When it comes to nutritional content this is one of the worst coffee cocktail recipes around because this is a very calorific drink.
However, while it might not be the lowest calorie Kahlua coffee drink out there, it certainly is one of the most delicious!
Want it non-alcoholic instead? No worries, simply swap out the Kahlua and Bailey's Irish Cream with coffee syrup and whipped heavy cream, and you're good to go!
11. Spanish Coffee Cocktail
If you’re looking for something strong, you can’t go wrong with a Spanish Coffee Cocktail.
It comes with everything under the sun from Kahlua to Rum, triple sec, and brewed coffee - so it's the perfect happy hour drink:
- Start by brewing coffee and mixing in Kahlua liqueur, rum, and triple sec
- Top with whipped cream, cinnamon, and brown sugar
- Relax and enjoy (in moderation, because this one is strong!)
Calorie-wise, a Spanish Coffee Cocktail typically has between 200 and 400 calories, but the nutrition information will vary depending on the ingredients you're using.
For a non-alcoholic version, you can omit all of the alcohol and replace it with simple syrup flavorings instead - coffee syrup, vanilla syrup, cane syrup, etc.
12. Irish Coffee With Kahlua And Coconut Cream
Even if you've had an Irish Coffee before, you probably haven't had it quite like this. The coffee cocktail recipe is sweeter, and makes this even indulgent than a regular Irish coffee:
- Brew black coffee and pour in some Irish whiskey
- Add in Kahlua liqueur and some sugar then stir to combine
- Add whipped coconut cream on top to finish
The thick layer of cream cuts through the alcohol and coffee flavor to give you an indulgent, but very drinkable coffee cocktail. In terms of nutrition information, it has about 250-300 calories per serving.
Want it non-alcoholic instead? No problem, simply replace the alcohol with either rum extract or coffee syrup, and you should still be able to achieve a similar result.
How To Make Kahlua Coffee Drinks At Home (It's Easy!)
There are plenty of Kahlua coffee drinks to make at home, but arguably the most popular is the White Russian.
It only contains a few ingredients, but tastes fantastic. You can also choose to have it either hot or cold - which is always a nice bonus.
If you're looking to make a Kahlua coffee drink at home, the best brewing method for your coffee is the Chemex (pour over method).
This gives you a smooth cup of coffee with minimal bitterness. Once you’ve got your coffee, here’s how you’ll go about making a Kahlua Coffee:
- 1Gather the following ingredients - Kahlua, milk or cream, and a sweetener of your choice.
- 2Place your Kahlua and your milk or cream and sweetener in a large coffee mug.
- 3Add brewed coffee (about 1 oz) to the mug and stir everything to combine. With that, you’ve got your Kahlua Coffee all ready to go.
Important Tips For Drinking Kahlua Coffee Liqueur
New to Kahlua coffee liqueur? Here are some tips on the best way to drink it. To start, you’ll definitely want to put Kahlua coffee liqueur in your coffee.
Not only does it work well in cocktail recipes, but it's also the ideal addition for any time of the day.
Kahlua coffee liqueur is best served cold, so it's always a good idea to leave it in the fridge before you're about to use it.
If you'd rather not add Kahlua coffee liqueur to your coffee, you can drink it straight. You can also blend it into cocktails and a wide range of drinks.
In terms of the amount, about one shot of Kahlua to your favorite coffee or cocktail should be enough, but if you want something a little stronger you can add more.
Common Kahlua Coffee Drink Questions
Does Kahlua go well with coffee?
Yes, Kahlua goes exceptionally well with coffee thanks to its nutty, rich, and bold flavors.
Does Kahlua have caffeine?
Yes, Kahlua has about 5 mg of caffeine in a standard 1.5 oz drink. It's not a whole lot, but since it typically goes well with coffee, the amount of caffeine can add up.
Does Kahlua coffee liqueur need to be refrigerated?
Technically, Kahlua does not have to be refrigerated. If you use it fairly frequently, however, it's best to keep it in the fridge, so you don't have to chill it before serving each time.
Is Kahlua coffee or chocolate?
Kahlua is much closer to coffee than it is to chocolate. Kahlua is a coffee liqueur that’s made of rum, sugar, and coffee beans.
Try One Of These Alcoholic Coffee Drinks!
There are lots of Kahlua Coffee Drinks that you can experiment with at home.
The cocktail recipes aren't complicated, and most have a short prep time -so you can enjoy happy hour in the comfort of your own home!
Have fun customizing the drinks to your preferences, and remember to always drink responsibly.